One of my favorite places to visit is our nation’s capital. It’s a place that everyone should have the chance to visit at least once! I have been more times than I can count because there is so much to do and see. I could spend days in each of the museums alone. Walking the entire mall is a feat, but worth it. The monuments are an incredible testament to those who came before us and the history that they created. Its also a great chance to see politics in action. No matter what your political stance is, its hard not to stand in awe of the Capitol.
Top 5 Things to Do in Washington DC
- Visit the Smithsonian. There are 19 free museums to chose from. My favorites are the American History Museum and the Air and Space Museum.
- Tour the historic monument. The most popular ones are the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, and the WWII Memorial.
- See politics in action at the Capitol.
- Play spy at the International Spy Museum. This one you do have to pay for, but its worth it. The extensive history of espionage includes displays with KGB lipstick pistols and invisible-ink letters.
- Grab lunch at the famous Ben’s Chili Bowl. A favorite of Bono, Obama, and Chris Tucker.