Casseroles often get a bad rap. They are associated with no flavor and mushy consistency. I’d like to break that image by calling it a “one pan meal”. On a busy weeknight, it is really nice to be able to dump everything in a pan, put it in the oven and walk away until the timer goes off. This lets me get so much done. I also love “one pan meals” because they are so easy to bring to those who need them: friends recovering from injuries, grieving families, or new moms. This meal isn’t technically a “one dish meal”, because I prefer to make my rice in a rice cooker, but you do have the option to throw quick cook rice into the mix before it goes in the oven. It will cook nicely. There is enough liquid from the creamed corn and tomatoes to make it fluff up.
Tex Mex Casserole
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can creamed corn (or homemade creamed corn)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (or 1 large fresh diced tomato)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice (brown rice is a great healthy alternative here, but be sure to adjust your rice cooking time)
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Optional: 1/2 cup sour cream
- Place chicken breasts in an oven safe pan.
- Pour creamed corn and tomatoes over top of the chicken.
- Rinse black beans and pour over the chicken.
- Salt and pepper generously.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Dice chicken into bite size pieces.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice. I used my rice maker and did 1 cup of rice with 1 1/2 cups of water. The nice thing about the rice cooker is that I put it in and forget about it until I need it. If you are making rice on a stove top, follow these instructions:
Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rice and salt and return to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, 16 to 18 minutes (check only toward the end of cooking time). The rice should be studded with craters, or steam holes, when it is ready.
Remove from heat and let steam, covered, for 10 minutes. Then fluff with a fork and serve.
- Spread cooked rice on the bottom of an oven safe pan.
- Top with chicken, corn, black beans, and tomatoes.
- Cover with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Return to 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and add sour cream, if you wish. Stir well & serve.