The other week I talked about cooking with new ingredients. To keep things light during this warm summertime weather I opted to try cooking with daikon for a new dish that adds some veggies to my dinner. If you missed Daikon & Peas, go check it out because today I am adding that dish to some ancient grains & chicken to pump up the dish. Daikon & Peas is a great dish because its so light, but sometimes you need to add a little something. If your summer days are filled with high octane activities on the water, you need some protein & carbs in your dinner for a high energy dish! Enter Quinoa and Chicken with Daikon & Peas!
To start, preheat your oven to 450. Place chicken in an oven safe pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Then cook for 20 minutes. I’ve mentioned this in posts before, but I used to cook chicken at 350 until I read an article that said that baking at a lower temperature for a longer time would result in dry meat. I tested out cooking chicken at a higher temperature & I was immediately won over. Not only is your chicken more juicy every time, but dinner can be on the table 10 minutes faster!
The next step is to make quinoa. The rule with quinoa, just like with rice, is 1 cup of grains to 2 cups of liquid. That liquid can be water, but I have opted for a nice chicken broth. Its an easy way to add in a punch of flavor. Bring the quinoa to a boil then lower the heat & let it simmer until the grains absorb the liquid, then fluff with a fork!
The final step is to combine all of the ingredients on the stovetop, saute together, & serve warm! Tip: Pack the leftovers for lunch the next day. Its not bad cold either!
- 1 recipe Daikon & Peas (1 daikon spiralized & sauted with peas and pepper flakes)
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place chicken in an oven safe pan with a drizzle of oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until chicken is golden & cooked throughout.
- Chop into large pieces.
- Bring chicken broth & quinoa to a boil on the stovetop.
- Reduce heat & simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large pan on the stovetop over medium heat, combine chicken, quinoa, and Daikon & Peas.
- Toss together until warm & serve!