Summer time is full of fun trips to the beach, hiking new trails, or road tripping. Sometimes you need a fun treat that is easily packed. Enter Puppy Chow (aka Muddy Buddies). Its that childhood treat that you’d forgotten all about! Its easy to make ahead of time then toss into small ziplock baggies for hitting the road or the trail. If you want, you can even make this while camping! Just be sure to bring a campfire skillet to melt the chocolate and peanut butter in. Then add to a gallon ziplock bags with the cereal & sugar & toss well for a fun camping treat.
I have found that the best way to evenly distribute the powdered sugar is to put half in the bottom of the bag, then add in the cereal coated in the peanut butter chocolate mix, then top with the remaining sugar. Seal the bag well & shake vigorously until well coated. This gives a much better sugar ratio than if you put all of the sugar in either the top or the bottom.
Twenty Fun Add In Ideas
for an easy trick to make new flavors:
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows (this would be great for on the road to a camping trip for a s’mores inspired snack!)
- Candy cane pieces at Christmas
- Brownie bites
- Mini pretzels
- Oreo cookie pieces
- Chocolate chip cookie dough pieces
- Cheesecake cut into mini bites
- Use Nutella instead of melted chocolate
- Reese’s pieces
- Lucky Charms marshmallows for St. Patrick’s Day
- Shredded coconut
- Butterscotch chips
- Chopped up candy bars such as Twix, Kit Kat, or Snickers
- White chocolate chips
- Chunks of rice krispy treats
- Pieces of Andes Mint or mini peppermint patties for a Thin Mint twist
What’s your favorite way to eat these? Do you take the time to add in a variety of flavors or do you stick with the original?
- 1 box Crispix (or Chex)
- 1 package chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 cups of powder sugar
- 1 cup of peanuts
- Melt peanut butter and chocolate chips over low heat.
- Add cereal & nuts and coat thoroughly.
- In a ziploc bag put in 1/2 cup of powder sugar in the bottom.
- Add half of mixture chocolaty mixture.
- Top with another 1/2 cup sugar and shake until coated.
- Repeat with other half of mixture in another ziploc bag.