When we were on the train from Florence, rolling through the Italian countryside we passed through the food regions of Tuscany, including the town of Parma. While we were able to sample many regional ingredients while in Florence, I hope to go back to explore some more. There are cheese making classes and balsamic tasting shops calling my name. In the meantime, I constantly attempt to bring a little bit of Tuscany into my home. That inspired me to share with you one of my favorite week night dishes, Parmesan Baked Chicken. When I say weeknight, I mean one of those days where I am exhausted and I wanted to just throw in the towel and head out to eat, but I know it’d be healthy to stay in! Plus, I can cook in my pjs…that seems frowned up at restaurants! Parmesan chicken has that lovely ability to come together quickly and yet taste fancy and decadent. Shred the cheese, toss the ingredients together, then relax for 20 minutes while it bakes! If you use real Parmesan, from toss on a red checkered tablecloth, light a candle, and turn the lights down, it tastes almost like you’re there!
The powdered Parmesan cheese that you get at pizza places or in a green plastic jar at the grocery store works really well for this recipe. It gives you more of a breaded feeling to the chicken. That being said, I prefer to use the real stuff. It has a better flavor and isn’t filled with icky preservatives.
Mix all of the dry ingredients in a big bowl. Dredge chicken through the dry mix and coat it well.
Sprinkle a little extra to make sure the chicken is extra covered!
Look at how good this looks! Dive in!
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 package of Italian Dressing mix (powdered, not the bottled kind)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder (you can use minced fresh garlic here, but since the powdered kind does give you a better coating)
- 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Halves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix cheese, dressing mix, and garlic powder together in a large bowl. Be sure that the ingredients mix well so that you don't get a bite of all one flavor.
- Rinse chicken, but leave slightly wet. This will help coat the chicken without having to use fatty oils.
- Coat each chicken in the cheese mixture. Be sure that each chicken breast is well coated.
- Place coated chicken in an oven pan. Make sure each chicken breast has a little bit of room so that they cook evenly.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until chicken is cooked throughout.