Are these Mini Veggie Lasagna Cups not just so adorable??? It’s lasagna that you can literally pick them up with your fingers and eat. Garfield would be so proud! They are super filling and secretly lightened up with layers of zucchini inside of them rather than extra pasta! They are just the thing to bring to all of those grad parties that I know everyone is going to right now.
I am really excited to partner with Ragu Homestyle Sauce on this post because homestyle is what Southern hospitality is all about. Creating that homestyle feeling no matter where you are, whether you spend hours over a dish or if you rely on some delicious pantry staples to pull something together quickly so that you can spend more time with your loved ones. To me, homestyle means putting love & care into a dish so that it feels like home. From pouring love into a dish to create full delicious flavors to the care of finishing touches that make a dish beautiful for the people eating it, every dish should have a little bit of home in it!
So here’s how to make these bad boys. Start by slightly cooking your lasagna pasta. I added mine to boiling water for only about 3 minutes. You want the lasagna to still be firm, but malleable enough to wrap it around in the cupcake tin cups. I used cooking scissors to trim each slice of lasagna to just big enough to wrap, then placed the tail in the bottom of the cup. You need to be sure to put a big enough piece in the bottom that it will go up the sides a little bit. That will allow it to cook together creating a nice seal so that you can pick these up with your fingers when they are cooked!
Next step is to fill the lasagna cups. Spoon a little bit of Ragu Homestyle Garlic Sauce into the bottom of the cup to add flavor into the pasta. Then start with a slice of zucchini at the bottom. This really helps firm up the cup and provide a nice base. Layer in the provolone cheese and some more sauce. Then repeat with more zucchini, cheese, & Ragu Homestyle Garlic Sauce until you fill each cup up.
I am a big fan of my dishes being pretty. I believe that you eat with your eyes first. When you make a topping, you want to be sure to follow these three guidelines:
- Create something that will highlight the flavors of your dish without competing with it.
- Add some color.
- Give your dish another texture.
To add some gorgeous color at the top of each Mini Veggie Lasagna Cup, I chopped up a gremolata (medley topping) of more provolone, some fresh basil, and garlic. Then I topped the lasagna cups with some more yummy Ragu Homestyle Garlic Sauce and sprinkled this topping on each one. Look how great those look!
I picked my Homestyle Ragu Thick & Hearty Garlic Sauce up at Target (because you can buy all things at Target…may have tried to buy all things while there…), but you can get it at your local grocery store or Walmart. The second I saw the garlic option with no artificial flavors, artificial colors, or high fructose corn syrup, I grabbed it and ran! Pretty much everything is better with garlic! This sauce is super thick, it was perfect for keeping the lasagna tightly together.
- 1 Box lasagna pasta
- 1 Jar of Ragu Homestyle Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 6 Slices of Provolone, cut into fourths
- Optional Topping: 4 chopped basil leaves, 1 slice of provolone crumbled, 2 cloves of garlic diced
- Trim lasagna pieces so that they fit around each cupcake cup.
- Place a piece of lasagna pasta on the bottom. Be sure to make it long enough so that it over laps the side pieces. That's what will give it the seal and keep it in a cupcake form!
- Place a spoonful (about a half of a tablespoon) in the bottom of the cup & swirl it to coat.
- Layer a zucchini slice at the bottom to firm up the base.
- Top with a piece of provolone.
- Spoon more sauce on.
- Repeat zucchini, provolone, and sauce until the lasagna cup is full.
- At the very top, sprinkle your gremolata of garlic, basil, and provolone to give it some pretty color.
- Bake in oven for 18 minutes, or until edges of lasagna get golden.
Check out Ragu’s website to learn about Ragu’s rich heritage and find featured recipes!