Let’s face it, mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, and balsamic make the best combination ever. I love combining them on a bruschetta (if I’m not doing pesto bruschetta), I enjoy throwing them together in a caprese dip, and they can take a boring chicken dinner to a whole new level. This recipe calls for cooking your chicken in a balsmic then serving it with a refreshing caprese topping. It’s one of my favorite meals to make!
I love basil so much that I could even dump this on a salad & be good to go (or even just dip my fork in the mixture as is!).
When you pull your chicken out of the oven, immediately spoon the caprese mixture over the top. This will cause the tomatoes and basil to warm and wilt just slightly. It also helps them stick to the chicken so that you get some in every bite!
Don’t forget about a yummy drizzle of balsamic vinegar over the top!
Bake chicken in olive oil & balsamic, check! Melt mozzarella on top, check! Spoon garlic caprese mixture on top, check! Now your Italian Caprese Chicken is ready to serve! Spend sometime checking out some of my posts on Italy to go with your Italian meal or cook up some lemon risotto to complete your meal!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ Cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 Roma Tomatoes
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Chop basil & tomato into small pieces.
- Mince garlic and combine in a bowl with the basil and tomatoes.
- Mix in the salt and one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and toss together.
- Set aside the topping mix so that the flavors can soak in.
- Combine balsamic and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Season both sides of chicken with pinches of salt
- Brush top sides of chicken with balsamic & olive oil mixture and place in a pan on the stove top. Set aside the rest of the balsamic mix.
- Cook for about five minutes at medium low heat. Be sure to keep an eye on the chicken so that the balsamic doesn't burn.
- Flip chicken and brush with additional balsamic and cook for an additional five minutes.
- Place two large slices of mozzarella on top of the chicken. Cook for two more minutes.
- Spoon topping onto the melted cheese and drizzle balsamic on top.