As the summer slowly grows to a close, I find myself wanting to get out onto the porch as much as possible while I can. We have been having a serious heat wave that reminds me of hot Dallas summer nights. While miserable during the day, it was always perfect for late evening grilling and midnight swims, finished off with milkshake runs to Steak’N’Shake. These days I am grilling up as many veggies as possible. Grilled artichokes were introduced to me by my husband and quickly became one of my favorite things to make.
- 1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Light Mayo
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon of Seasonings (I love using fresh chives, but if I don’t have them on hand, then I used a mixed seasoning.)
- 1 Large Artichoke
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Directions for the Garlic Lemon Aioli:
- Roast Garlic:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel away the excess exterior of the garlic, but don’t peel it completely.
- Cut across the top of the garlic so that the top is exposed.
- Drizzle exposed garlic with olive oil, letting the oil sink down into the cloves.
- Wrap in foil and place on a cookie sheet in the oven.
- Roast for 40 minutes or until garlic is soft.
- Smash the garlic and dice it well. Puree it in a food processor if you have one. It gives the dip a more creamy texture. If you don’t have one, that’s okay. I enjoy the small chunks of garlic in the dip!
- Combine garlic, mayo, lemon juice, and seasonings.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
Directions for the Grilled Artichoke:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Set a steamer basket on top if you have one.
- Slice artichokes in half.
- Add artichokes to steam basket or directly into boiling water, and cook for about 15 minutes or until slightly soft when pressed with a fork.
- Remove artichoke from steamer.
- Brush with olive oil and generously salt and pepper.
- Place onto a preheated grill. Grill until grill marks appear.
- Remove from heat, cut out the choke (the stringy center), and serve with the aioli!
Serve as an appetizer or as a side dish. Stay tuned next week for this delicious cheeseburger sandwich!