Happy Galentine’s Day! A day made immortal by Parks & Recreation’s Leslie Knope. A day to celebrate all of your favorite girlfriends! I am all for anything that celebrates my favorite girls. How are you celebrating Galentine’s Day today? Anyone doing a fun brunch, Leslie Knope style? I’d be up for that! I am a huge fan of waffles! In honor of Galentine’s Day I have made some festively pink cupcakes! These are super easy to make because you start with pink strawberry cake mix, but add an extra egg, swap oil for butter, and add in fresh frozen strawberries to make the cupcakes taste amazing! I’ve tried making a strawberry cake from scratch, but you really only get that pretty pink color from a boxed mix. That’s okay, it doesn’t have to taste like a boxed mix! It can taste yummy & homemade, like you slaved over these all afternoon!
Pro Tip: When chopping up your frozen strawberries, pop them in your blender or food processor & give them a few little pulses rather than trying to chop. The importance of using frozen strawberries rather than fresh, is that they tend to maintain their shape a lil better rather than getting all mushy. You can also grab some freeze dried strawberries. Those work amazingly well! I grab mine from Trader Joes.
If you are not into chocolate (what????), these taste just as delicious with a generous dusting of powdered sugar and they look so pretty in pink & white don’t they?
If you don’t have time to do a whole brunch with your girls, maybe make some cupcakes & deliver them to your friends. If you’re not into celebrating Galentine’s Day or if you are more into chocolate desserts, check back on the blog tomorrow to see this same recipe used in a fun brownie layered cupcake dessert for your favorite Valentine!
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 2/3 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- strawberries and raspberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, butter, and eggs.
- Mix until well combined.
- Hand stir in chopped frozen strawberries.
- Pour batter into greased cupcake tins.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Melt chocolate for 30 seconds at a time in the microwave or double boiler. Stir until creamy.
- Spread on top of cupcakes.
- Press strawberry & raspberry pieces into the chocolate while warm.