I am looking forward to Labor Day weekend. Who doesn’t love a three day weekend? My plans are to stay local this year. Sometimes some relaxing time at home is just what you need! This weekend I will be taking it easy and whipping up some yummy comfort food. Like most Southerners, one of my favorite sandwiches is an egg salad sandwich. While I love a simple egg salad sandwich, a three day weekend calls for kicking it up a notch with bacon and tomatoes!
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1/8 cup Mayo
- 1/8 cup Sweet Relish
- 1/4 Teaspoon Mustard
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 slices of potato bread (or your favorite bread)
- 1 medium tomato or a handful of cherry tomatoes
- Hard boil eggs and set aside to cool.
- Add bacon to a cold skillet. (I prefer to use a cast iron skillet.) Starting the bacon in a cold skillet will allow the fat more time to melt away, leaving you with perfect crispy bacon.
- Cook until crispy, approximately 8 minutes.
- When bacon reaches desired consistency, remove from skillet and place in paper towels to absorb extra grease.
- When cooled, crumble or chop up, and set aside.
- Peel cooled hard boiled eggs and place whole in a mixing bowl.
- Use a fork to mash the yolk up until there are no large pieces.
- Add in mayo, mustard, and relish. (Taste it at this point and add in more to suit your preference)
- Stir in crumbled bacon.
- Scoop egg mixture onto bread.
- Top with sliced tomatoes & serve!