For so many years growing up, my brother and I tried to make my mom breakfast in bed for Mother’s Day. I’m not sure that it ever really worked out. My mom was always awake before me and breakfast in bed tends to be somewhat of a mess, but still it’s the thought that counts right??? Instead of making a big messy breakfast, how about making her something that would make her life easier? These egg muffins can be made ahead of time and they freeze beautifully. (Package them individually when freezing.) Simply pop one in the microwave for a minute and enjoy a hot breakfast!
- English Muffins (I used the sourdough kind here.)
- Salt & Pepper
- Cheese (I used a Colby Jack here, but feel free to substitute in your favorite kind.)
***The ratio is one slice of cheese, two slices of bacon, one egg, and one muffin per muffin. Adjust your amounts depending on how many muffins you want to make!***
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray muffin tins with olive oil (or your favorite nonstick spray)
- Crack eggs into muffin tins. One egg per tin.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. I used cracked bourbon pepper here for added flavor.
- Bake eggs for 20 minutes or until they reach your desired consistency.
- While the eggs are baking, cook your bacon.
- Add strips of bacon to a skillet. Be care not to let bacon over lap or they will cook unevenly.
- Bacon will start to crackle and bubble.
- Cook them until you reach your desired texture. I like mine well done, but not too crispy.
- Remove from pan and soak off the extra grease with paper towels.
- Toast English muffins. I heated up a skillet and lightly toasted them on the stove top for about 20 seconds each, but you can also use a toaster.
- Lightly butter. This will help keep the muffin moist when reheating.
- Layer on the cheese, bacon & egg.
Other delicious breakfast ideas:
Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes