Grits are one of my favorite dishes to make. They are also one of the reasons why I started this blog. Growing up with a Southern mother, I was very used to have grits on a regular basis. I might wake up on Saturday morning to find a big pot of grits on the stovetop ready for me to serve them up with a mound of melting butter or I might find them baked with cheese served as a side dish at dinner. As much as I love them, they weren’t something that most people that I meet are familiar with. I introduced grits to my now husband, to all of my California friends, and my coworkers. I have found that once you try them, you’ll want them all the time! Because I have such fond memories of waking up to them on a lazy Saturday morning, I want to share this yummy breakfast cream cheese grits recipe. You can also try my delicious Cheese Grits with Gruyere recipe for a great dinner dish!
Cream Cheese Grits
1 Cup Grits
3 Cups Water
1 (8 ounce) package of low fat cream cheese
1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
1/4 Teaspoon of Pepper
1 Cup of Milk
1/4 Cup of Butter
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add in grits.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add in cream cheese, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until cheese is melted and all ingredients are combined.
- Slowly add in milk one splash at a time until you reach your desired texture. (add more for a runnier texture or less for a thicker texture)
- Serve hot with a pat of butter on top.
What’s your go to breakfast for a leisurely Saturday breakfast?