Christmas morning is a time for sleeping in, then spending your day wearing your pj’s and leisurely opening stockings & presents with your family. I love a good breakfast loaded with lots of goodies, like pancakes or waffles, however that means lots of kitchen time & dirty dishes. Sometimes its nice to have a make ahead option that lends itself to a lazy morning! This Cheesy Grits and Sausage Quiche can be enjoyed directly out of the oven, but it can also be made the day before (or even week before if you want to pop it in the freezer). It reheats beautifully whenever you are ready for a warm, cheesy breakfast! You can even leave it on the counter and let your family can help themselves as they are ready for breakfast. I won’t tell that you’re using a microwave! 😉
To make this dish, I recommend using a medium or sharp cheddar cheese and a smokey sausage. You can also do this with a Gruyere and an applewood sausage. It’s up to you, but my preference is for that smokey cheesy flavor!
If you are a long time grits fan, this dish is more of a quiche which changes the consistency. This Cheesy Grits and Sausage Quiche is denser & you cut into it like a pie. Its so delicious & filling, giving you tons of energy for all of those new presents! Just look at that beautiful crust! If you want smooth, creamy grits, try out this recipe for Cream Cheese Grits.
This year on Christmas Eve my mom & I will be investing some time into making homemade cinnamon rolls to be enjoyed on Christmas morning! I am not someone who can do just sweets for breakfast though so I’m thinking that this quiche will be just the thing to go with it!
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked sausage, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 2 (8-oz.) blocks sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 7 to 9 minutes or until cooked.
- Bring salt and 4 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large pot over high heat.
- Whisk in grits, and return to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until completely melted.
- Stir in milk and next 4 ingredients.
- Stir in sausage.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until golden and cooked through.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.