Bacon, Cheddar, Chive Biscuits are one of my favorite baked goods to make. I don’t make these biscuits very often because they take some time to hand toss. I usually opt for Three Ingredient Biscuits to save time & effort, but these are just so flavorful! Also, I don’t make these very often because I can’t help but eat the entire basket of them! They are that good. Add some Whipped Maple Butter (or Texas Cinnamon Butter) and you get this addicting sweet and salty and cheesy combo that I can’t get enough of. These biscuits always disappear when I take them to party or place them out for guests. I mean they seriously disappear. I always cross my fingers that there will be a few leftover for me the next day, but no such luck!
Serve these bad boys up beside that Presbyterian Soup that I shared last week. It makes such a good combo! I hope that wherever you are reading this from, your weather is improving. California needed the rain so badly for so long, and now we are just getting slammed with rain. I don’t know how much more we can take! That being said, we have had the occasional sunny day, which makes the rainy days easier to handle. Well, that and a cozy soup and tasty biscuits!
I have two tricks for you if you are looking to save time & effort. The first is that you can buy bacon bits instead of frying & chopping the bacon yourself. This saves on a time & a lot of greasy mess. Personally, I usually just bite the bullet and make the bacon from scratch because it makes the house smell amazing, but this is a great option if you want to take it! Second time saving idea, throw all of your ingredients into a food processor or use and immersion blender to whip things up. I take the time to use my fingers to hand cut the chilled butter into the flour, then hand sift the ingredients in. I think they get a much better texture & consistency that way. That being said, I don’t know if anyone at all can tell a difference. Feel free to toss everything in, whip together, and start molding your biscuits!
- 7 slices bacon
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces or grated
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp and brown.
- Transfer to paper towels and drain.
- Chop or crumble and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Using your fingers incorporate the chilled butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the Cheddar cheese, fresh chives, and cooked bacon.
- Mix to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Add the buttermilk and stir just until moistened.
- Using 1/2 cup dough for each biscuit, drop the biscuits onto a baking sheet, spacing the mounds about 2-inches apart.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden brown on top, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve the biscuits warm with melted Maple butter.