I love having guests over. I usually go way over the top with far too many courses or buffets filled with food. Sometimes though, you have busy days where you need something that you can make ahead of time, that will feed a lot of people. This giant bowl of Arugula Pasta Salad gave us about 10 servings for a recent get together. I made it ahead of time & just kept it covered, in the fridge until everyone was ready to eat. It allowed me to spend more time with my friends & family & less time fussing over the food.
Arugula is my favorite green. It doesn’t have the harsh flavor of kale, but it isn’t boring like ice berg or romaine. I sprinkled shaved Parmesan over the top of the finished dish. I enjoy pairing the peppery arugula with Parmesan. I think those two go together so well! Plus, it looks really fancy to offer your guests fresh shaved Parmesan.
This big bowl of pasta has all of the flavors you need for a meal. You get acidity from the sun dried tomatoes, a peppery taste from the arugula, and tons of protein from the chicken. The pasta acts as a filler to really plump up the bowl. There are so many amazing, healthy options for pasta out there. Sometimes I go with whole wheat pasta or a vegetable pasta to add in some extra good fiber! I opted to skip a sauce or a dressing to save on added calories & sugar. By mixing the oil packed sun dried tomatoes in while the pasta is warm, it coats everything in the yummy sun dried tomato taste. If you prefer, you can drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil & a high quality balsamic vinegar over the whole bowl & toss well at the end.
If all of this pasta & fresh Parmesan has you craving some Italy wanderlust, then head over to our Travel page to check out all of the Sweet Tea Sweetie travel stories!
- 4 Cups Arugula
- 1 Box of bowtie pasta
- 1/2 Cup julienne cut sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon of pepper
- 4 Cooked chicken breasts
- Boil pasta for 11 minutes, or until al dente.
- When cooked, drain & rinse in cold water immediately to cool the pasta.
- Chop cooked chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
- Wash arugula well.
- In a large bowl, combine arugula, pasta, and chicken.
- In a smaller bow, mix together olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, salt, pepper, and a splash of balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Stir well.
- Pour olive oil mixture over the pasta bowl. Toss everything together until well coated.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top if you prefer.