Can you believe that Easter is next week? How is it here already? In my family we make turkey for Thanksgiving, ham for Christmas, and pork chops or lamb for Easter. We have made the pork chops a few different ways, but my favorite is always Apple Roasted Pork Chops. They are decadently sweet from the apple topping and slightly salty from the pork chops which is my favorite combination. Easter is a great occasion to get together with family, both old and new. Family luncheons are really important in the South. Go to church, hunt for some eggs, make a big meal, just take this opportunity to appreciate each other. It’s not always just family. Remember to bring together your friends who feel like family as well!
The sweet apple pie topping that I use for this dish can be canned or you can make your own ahead of time. Southern Living has a list of 10 great apple pie recipes. Pick your favorite and follow the instructions, minus the pie crust! You can make this recipe with plain apples, but you won’t get the same juicy flavors. The rich sugar and cinnamon sauce helps keep the pork chop from drying out.
Remember to salt & pepper your pork chops before pouring the pie filling on top. This will help cut the sweetness from the pie filling. I also recommend serving this dish with some savory sides rather than sweet sides. Let the apples take the center stage here. I have put together an Easter meal plan for you to help you put together an Easter meal that will impress all of your guests!
Easter Meal Plan
Apple Roasted Pork Chops
Maple Bacon Brussel Sprouts
- 4-6 Pork Chops (depending on size)
- 1 Large Can of Apple Pie filling or 1 Homemade Pie Recipe
- Cinnamon, as needed
- Nutmeg, as needed
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil.
- Place pork chops along the bottom of the dish. (It's best if they aren't touching each other.)
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Pour apple pie filling over top of the pork chops.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Allow to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg & cinnamon for an extra kick of flavor.