One thing that makes a Southern home so hospitable is it’s ever ready state for guests to come over. I have come to find that Southern homes aren’t always perfect. They are real live, lived in homes, complete with a little bit of mud and scattered magazines, but they know how to pull it together and make you feel welcome, no matter what!
5 Ways to Give Your Home Southern Hospitality
- Make use of pretty baskets as a catchall for odds and ends. It makes clutter look pulled together. I love these handmade Sweetgrass Baskets from Charleston, but I also use regular ones from Pier 1.
- Always have plenty of blankets and throw pillows around so that your guests don’t have to ask if they are a little chilly.
- Invest in furniture that doubles as storage. It makes it easy to hide odds and ends when someone stops by unexpectedly.
- Offer your guests something to drink as soon as they get settled. Most of the year I have a pitcher of sweet tea at the ready. During the winter months, I LOVE my Keruig because it allows me to have a wide variety of coffees and teas ready to offer. Dark Chocolate Raspberry? Decaf Hazelnut? Green tea? Not a problem! (This is not a sponsored post, it really does just make my life easier!)
- Put out a pretty tray with some nibbles like cheese straws or these roasted nuts. (Or try these Cinnamon Roasted Nuts)
The key is to anticipate their needs before they have to ask for anything!
- 1 cup of Cashews (option to use all almonds, walnuts or pecans)
- 2 cups of Almonds
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of All Spice
- 1/3 White Sugar
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread nuts on a foil covered pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While baking, whisk together water and egg white until frothy.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- When nuts have baked, remove and turn oven down to 325 degrees.
- Mix hot nuts in water and egg white mixture.
- Coat with dry ingredients
- Spread on a foil covered pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or save for a go to nibble when guests come over!