Waterslides, bike rides, fireworks, weekend getaways, BBQs….the list is endless. Summer is one of my favorite seasons! To celebrate summer, I’m doing a special series this month! For July, I will be bringing you a different BBQ recipe each week. We will start with dessert first, because “Life is short, eat dessert first!” and why not??? Then we will do my favorite easy Southern style BBQ Baked Beans, Orange Marinated Steak with Buttered Mushrooms, and Grilled Lemon Asparagus, then we will finish up the month by finally bringing you the Sweet Tea Sweetie Summer Sweet Tea recipe! Each week I will also be highlighting some great summer road trip locations on each side of the coast. Check back in for a bit of wanderlust!
To kick off our July BBQ series, I bring you homemade whipped cream on berries! It’s a quick and easy dessert that looks festive while keeping calories in check. Once you make your own whipped cream, you’ll never return the store bought stuff! Making homemade whipped cream gives you an incredible rich yet fluffy flavor. It’s so easy, there is no excuse!
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint strawberries
- Place a metal mixing bowl and metal whisk into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the sugar into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream.
- Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
- Store any unused portion in an airtight container for up to 10 hours.
- When ready to use, re-whisk for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Wash 1 pint of strawberries.
- Cut off leafy green cap and slice into quarters.
- Wash 1 pint of blueberries.
- Toss strawberries & blueberries together.
- Serve over strawberries and blueberries for a low calorie red, white and blue treat!